COSPLAY COMPETITION RULES
Insomnia Egypt is proud to lead the rapidly growing Egyptian and regional cosplay community and will be hosting its fourth Cosplay Competition. All cosplayers are welcome to join, international or Egyptian, this is Insomnia Egypt, a new world stage for Cosplay Competitiveness.
To guarantee a fair competition and fair and equal chances for all competitors, please note there will be NO Leniency or wavering of the rules whatsoever.
Who can enter and what are the general rules?*
The Cosplay Part
- Cosplays can only enter the competition if the competing cosplay has never been shown in a public event, social media, participated in a competition or a show before the cosplay competition event at Insomnia.
- Cosplays from any genre of video games, television, film, books, anime, manga, original design etc. may enter the Masquerade.
- Only handmade cosplays will be allowed participation in the Masquerade.
- Partially-handmade cosplays will be judged for the handmade parts only.
- Any size group may enter the Masquerade. However, if eligible for a prize, this will be split evenly between participants.
- The competition is open to all ages, but if you are under the age of 16, please make sure to get parental consent (English form can be found here, and an Arabic one can be found here).
- Please be aware of Egyptian culture and the fact that this is a family event with a big slice of the attendees being children, keep that in mind while selecting your cosplay design or while crafting it that it would adhere to PG-13. If you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Performance Part
- You may perform to music and/or use a microphone during your performance. If you do not provide music, generic music will be provided for you.
- Performances/Skits must be no longer than one minute in length.
- All changes to the performance requirements and materials must be finalised by the 10th of February 2023. No changes will be accepted after that date.
- Arrive at the designated area ready NO LATER than half an hour before the Competition is due to start.
The Judging Part
- Cosplayers should be in their cosplays starting at 2PM for judging.
- Cosplayers should stay in their cosplays from 2PM till the competition ends for judging, videography, photo sessions and moving in between.
- Cosplayers will be judged up close and personal individually. The judges will get to ask you questions to help them assess your work more accurately.
- If you think you worked more than what it shows on a specific part of your cosplay, make sure to voice it out during the judging process.
- We advise you rehearse your strengths and focus points before you start your judging process, this way you can make sure you’re ready and not forget anything.
*All entrants must comply with the Cosplay Masquerade General Rule set and Props Rules.
How will the competition be judged?
The judges will be scoring each cosplay based on multiple metrics:
How accurate the cosplay is to the cosplayed character, or the design (in case the character is fanart).
How clean is the build? How good is your finish? Are you missing any parts? What kind of details and handiwork did you put into this?
- Stage ready
Are you going to stay in your cosplay when you get on stage? Or will it start falling apart?
Your performance doesn’t have to be a skit or a show, but you have to be in character. This is a Cosplaying competition, not a costume making competition.
- Material choice and is it used properly
Are you using cardboard when you should be using linen? Did you creatively make cardboard look like metal? Show us those skills!
Based on scores, the cosplayers will be ranked and prizes given out to the top 10.
Additional points may be awarded for detailed application forms including reference pictures, design and blueprints, but this does not form an active judging category for the Masquerade.
A proof of progress will be requested from you 1 week prior to the event dates, this will be to make sure all competing cosplays are done and ready. If you fail to submit the proof in time, you will be disqualified.
Insomnia Egypt 2023 Cosplay Competition will feature a total prize pool of 265,000 EGP which will be distributed to the top 10 competitors:
1st Place prize = EGP 90,000.
2nd Place prize = EGP 60,000.
3rd Place prize = EGP 40,000.
4th Place prize = EGP 30,000.
5th Place prize = EGP 20,000.
6th – 10th Places prize = EGP 5,000 each.
- Any size group may enter the Masquerade. However, if eligible for a prize, it will be split evenly between participants.
- If the winner of the competition is a group, there will be one trophy only.
Props and Cosplay Rules
Weapons and props must be approved by security staff before being allowed into the convention. This may include checks which will be carried out by the cosplay team. Decisions made by the venue security and staff are final and these rules serve as a guide only.
The general rule is;
‘If you are hit with the prop, would it break before you do?’
If your answer is ‘no’ then it means that someone could get hurt if this were to happen. In this case, we would recommend you leave it at home just so you are not disappointed.
When outside of the convention hall, please make sure you have a safe way to transport your props and that they are sufficiently covered. Take extra precaution when traveling through high traffic areas such as the airport and railway stations, so as not to cause alarm or discomfort to others.
- Live weapons (deactivated guns, Airsoft, metal knives, swords, axes or live bows) are expressly prohibited, whether sheathed or piece bonded.
No exceptions will be made regardless of any special licences, training or memberships!
- No pyrotechnics, gas canisters, explosives (including cap-guns) or incendiary items.
- No weapons that can fire any sort of projectile, including foam darts or water. Unless it can be shown to be empty, with a visible brightly coloured safety tip and/or that only some parts have been used for the prop.
- No sharp points, protruding points or sharp edges, make sure they’re sanded, rounded, padded, covered or otherwise protected adequately.
- Props made out of wood cannot be too heavy, large or unwieldy (i.e blocks corridors/doorways or is likely to hit, hurt or inconvenience others.)
- You cannot perform any action which may lead event staff, attendees or members of the general public to believe you are in possession of a real live weapon.
- Please keep in mind that this is a public event in a closed venue, cosplays wider than two metres should always be aware of their surroundings and make sure to never obstruct the alleys.
Please be aware that these rules are here to ensure we have a safe event for both staff and attendees. If you have been asked to put your prop away, please do so. In an extreme case you may be escorted out from the event.
If there is any doubt, please send photos and a description of the prop
World Cosplay Summit
WCS Egypt Qualifiers will be held on Saturday at Insomnia Egypt on the Main Stage. Here are the general rules to compete for representing Egypt at WCS Japan in August 2023:
- All entrants must be in teams of Two.
- Each team has to register once in the registration form for WCS.
- Cosplays used in the WCQ Qualifications on the 18th of February has to be handmade by the cosplayers participating, themselves.
- Cosplays used in the WCS Qualifiers on the 18th of February don’t have to be new, it could be an older one.
- Selecting the Egypt representatives will be based on:
The following scores will be used from the Insomnia Egypt Cosplay Competition on Friday the 17th of February.
- Stage readiness
- Material choice and is it used properly
- The following scores will be used from the WCS Qualifications on the 18th of February:
- Yes, that means to compete in the WCS Qualifiers on the 18th of February, you have to participate in the Insomnia Egypt Cosplay Competition on the 17th of February.
- The total points of points 3 and 4 will be used to determine who’s representing Egypt for the first time in WCS Japan, in 2023.
- Each team has to do a 2 minutes and a half performance on stage.
- This performance will be used in the scoring for WCS (point #4).
- Teams must compete in cosplays from a Japanese Series/Universe/Game/etc.
- Teams must compete in cosplays from the same Series/Universe/Game/etc.
- Teams members must be either Egyptians or having a long-term residency in Egypt (and can prove it).
- Teams members must be 18 years or older.
- Teams members must have a valid passport, able and willing to travel to Japan to represent Egypt in August 2023.
- Failing to show up or competing in the Insomnia Egypt Cosplay Competition on the 17th of February, automatically disqualifies you from participating in the WCS Qualifiers on the 18th of February.
WCS Qualifiers Next Steps
- Each team will be contacted by Insomnia Egypt to collect materials to be played on the screen during the Saturday qualifiers.
- Same rules from Insomnia Egypt Competition for the materials to be displayed, applied.
- Registering in Insomnia Egypt Cosplay Competition does not mean you have registered in the WCS Qualifiers, you have to register in both.
- Winning team will be travelling to represent Egypt for the first time, in Japan in August 2023, all accommodation and travel flights will be covered.
- Make us proud.
- Your cosplay must be appropriate for a family friendly show and include enough body coverage to be worn in public.
- All entrants must have a spare copy of their Masquerade music track on a USB.
- Use or performance of the following will be immediately stopped and you may be disqualified from the competition or convention floor:
- Excessive/inappropriate language or behaviour such as swearing.
- Committing an act which is viewed as something which may potentially harm yourself or others.
- By entering the competition, you agree to be filmed and photographed during the event, all copyrights belonging to the event organisers.
- Any staff, venue or organiser reserves the right to decline or stop a skit/performance at any time.
- Any staff, venue or organiser reserves the right to change or revise these rulesets at any time.
- Insomnia reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any entry before the event date.
The judges’ decisions are final once made.
Insomnia Egypt is not accountable for any competition results unless announced by the Insomnia Egypt team when it’s scheduled.